Monday, March 3, 2014

Progressions of a Photographer #2

Canon Rebel XSi, ISO 200, 55mm, f/5.6, 1/60th sec
Here we go! My second installment of Progressions of a Photographer. This photo was taken in March of 2009 while I was hiking in Curt Gowdy State Park near Cheyenne Wyoming.

There really is not anything special about this photo, I just thought it is a good example to use for this progression series. At this point in time, I was still on the basic program mode on my new camera. I did not start experimenting with more advanced setting until much later in my progression. The camera chose to expose this photo at ISO 200, aperture at f/5.6 with a shutter speed of 1/60th of a second. I had the lens vibration compensation turned on, at this time I was still hand-holding my camera for everything so it is not a very sharp shot.

I decided on the composition for two reasons. The first thing that caught my eye, as I walked up the trail over a ridge, was the clouds and light on them. After I got up the ridge, I noticed the rock formation poking up out of the trees and simply thought that it would make a nice shot with the rocks and the sky in photo.

For post-processing, all I did are minor adjustments to in Lightroom. I bumped up the contrast a little, brought down the highlights, lightened the shadows and dialed in a little clarity. As you will see, in the coming months of this series, I try to take shots that need minimal post-processing. Not that I think that is the only way to make a good picture, it's just the way I prefer. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment